Thursday, August 20, 2009

I'm Back.

Classes began last Thursday in Jefferson County - Louisville, Kentucky's public school district. By the weekend I knew I was going to forgo my previous plans to begin studying for the LSAT. For as much as I hate the little things I hate about my profession (and I'm slowly realizing this is my profession, not just something I'm doing after college before I find my career), nothing negative can compare to how right it feels to work with these kids. Besides, most of what I wanted to get away from in education would probably find me in any job (e.g., incompetence, red tape, disorganization, brutal hours) and I might loose some of the most important things to me (e.g., working with kids, especially disadvantaged kids, getting to know a community other than the one I live in very well, doing something I know I can do well, working with the written word all day, free summers, solid benefits, etc.)

I realize it's still the "honeymoon" - just one week into the new school year, but I'm in this strange sort of zen mode - I know what's coming, and I feel like I could teach forever. Last year was such a rough year. From my reading over the summer, I realized I was suffering from serious "clinical" burn-out. I came into this year thinking it would be my last. Now I feel suddenly and strangely certain that I was meant to be a Title I middle school teacher - despite all the frustration and lack of societal respect that come with it. ("Wow, what a noble profession." )

David Pucket, a former middle school teacher and now board member of the NMSA, spoke at our opening professional development meetings this year before the students came back. He said, "High school teachers are passionate about their content; elementary school teachers are passionate about their kids; middle school teachers must be passionate about both" - to be effective.

So true. So glad it came back.

1 comment: