Monday, August 31, 2009

Middle Sex

So today I brought in those 33 copies of LEO for the class. And of course the children promptly all turned to the classified ads for "GayMates" in the back. Of course. Why would I have thought of that? And this just after a lesson on homophones where I made them break down the word to its roots to understand that "homo-phone" means "same-sound." Let your imagination carry you to the giggles and little comments I had to calmly redirect period after period that day.

Aside from the rife homophobia I find within this demographic (though, I should note, the occasional student does stand up for gay rights when other students make hateful comments, and for a twelve/thirteen year old, especially with such a minority and controversial opinion, that's impressive to say the least), there's a very normal discomfort/curiosity about sex in general. Naturally, I don't feel comfortable discussing the subject, but I really feel someone should be talking to these kids. I wouldn't mind teaching sex education, to my girls anyway, within a structured protocol, divorced of all religious affiliation, open and honest.

I'm not trying to undermine a parent's role, but what about the kids whose parents don't talk to them about sex? Since I've been teaching I've known of at least four girls at my school who have gotten pregnant before high school. I also heard one eighth grade girl say to a teacher, who said she was planning to have a baby in a few years: "Plan to have a baby? What you mean plan to have a baby? You can't plan it!"

I don't know if the lack of sex ed in my school is the result of a state, district or school policy. I do know that religion still influences the law in Kentucky to such an extent that you can't buy alcohol before two on Sunday. And I know that far too many of my girls have wound up with children before they themselves are adults.

I may be biased, but I think education is the obvious answer.

2 comments:

  1. Homophones!?!?! Just what in the heck are you teaching our children?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for the sharing.... easy to download

    ReplyDelete