Sunday, March 14, 2010

Other Interesting Pieces

What Keeps Me Alive

From day to night
I've always had my hand gripped tightly to my Sharpie,
With my sketchbook in front of me,
The sound of faded music,
Whispering softly to my ears,
I have my Sharpie in my palm now I feel warm,
I have my sketchbook now the warmth's complete
It makes the hole in my heart softly fill in
At times when I don't I have them
I start to feel the coldness crawl over me,
I'll never lose my pen and book,
Cause they're the ones who keep me alive.

-Jamie



When You Were Born

When you were born,
My heart was filled with love.
I knew I had to be a better person.

From the bright lights
To the fast beating hearts.
My daddy pacing back and forth
With sweat sliding down his head.

I sit and wait for you to come out.
Finally. "I see the head" the doctor says.

Mom holds you and
Rubs your gentle soft head
She gives you to our daddy
And you scream
With a squeaky whine.
He gives you to me.

And I touched your silky soft blanket
As I cupped you in my arms.
I knew I had to care for you
And show you the way of life.
I had to be a better person.

I love you and I always will love you
Now and forever my little brother.

-Dale


When The Last Leaf Falls

When the last leaf falls
From the old oak tree
No longer will I hear your deep voice
That gets higher when you're worried.
No longer wil you come in
From long, hard days
Spant at "Work-R's-Us"
Asking, "Where's my little girl?"
There will be no more nights
When we pretend
To go to sleep for Mama
And rush downstairs
When she's out of sight
To search for the Twinkie stash.

I will no longer breathe in
The scent of new car;
The car freshener,
From being in
Your old Cadillac
With the chameleon paint
That changes colors.
The sun will
No longer smile,
The birds will
No longer sing.
Sweet Sugar would become
Bitter Salt.

While you are still here,
I will cherish every moment,
Learn from every mistake,
And follow every dream.
I'll capture our smiles,
And our "laughing-just-to-be-laughing" moments.
All will be good as gold
Until the last leaf falls.

-Shaylyn

No comments:

Post a Comment