Sunday, February 28, 2010

Poems for Fathers III

The Worst

I am a part of a man
That I can call dad
But I never get to see again
And the old pictures
That I can hardly remember.

It started at home
You can hear the crying
And screaming.
The door slamming
And the car starting.

Mom grabbing
And running,
Knocking and asking
If we can stay.
The long night with no sleep.
Waking up,
And walking to the bus stop.
Up the long gravel road,
Seeing dad's truck not there.

At school thinking,
Where is he.
After a long day at school.
Getting off the bus,
And walking down,
The creepy road,
Seeing the house
At the bottom of the hill.

Coming home and seeing
My family is all in black.
People crying and looking,
Mom is nowhere to be found.

Wanting to know
Where my father is,
Mom walking up
And saying, "Matt,
Your dad is dead."

-Matthew

Dad

Your tan face, your dark brown eyes
That dusty old Kentucky hat
That you always wore.
The gray hair on your prickly black beard

The strength you got from a couple bottles of beer.
The time you would get so drunk
You claimed we didn't love you.

The day you walked out the door-
The day I hardly remember.

Gone
Not knowing where you went.

The last roar of the dirty green truck's engine.
Built up dirt falling off the back.

That last petty kiss
That didn't seem to mean anything to you.

The times I cried when I heard your voice-
The sorrow I felt in my heart.

The times I won't remember you
The times you'll forget, too.

-Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment