Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Poems for Grandfathers

My Papaw

The look of your tan face,
The smile that lit up the room,
And those baby blue eyes all made you my Papaw.

The times you would come over and visit all those
Sweet times of going camping,
Swimming and those summer nights
We always enjoyed your company

You got sick the cancer had gotten bigger
And the time left to spend with you was limited.
The night you left was traumatic.
Knowing that I would no longer see you tore me apart.

We all sat there trying to be strong it was very hard,
All our strong faces wore down to sobbing heaps.
the night my heart was crushed,
The funeral was long and sad
The sadness was like a virus,

No matter what it would find you.
I asked mom and dad what had happened
My question was answered with
He's in heaven looking down on you
It scared me at first then I realized you never left,
You're in my heart forever and always

-Alexa

Bye Bye Papaw

I remember spending time with him
In the garage crushing cans.
I remember the crinkle of the cans
As they got crushed.

I remember helping him
Wash Mamaw's bright red car.
Soapsuds flying off
As we sprayed it.

I remember the times he was in the hospital.
Him looking sad and helpless
Hooked up to all those cords
As I watched him in pain
Making me feel worthless.

I also remember the kitchen
In my mamaw's house
The day my mom said,
"He isn't coming home."

-Cody

Fishing With You

The long windy dirt road.
The sweet sound of the Beach Boys'
Sound of Summer.

You're tall
And you always [wear]
Your tan pants
And your "I'm a Grandpa" shirt
You got when I was born.
You say you caught
The biggest fish that day.

Your snow-white hair.
Your skin
Is dark tan;
All yearlong.

I inhale a big whiff
Of stinky slimy
Fish bate.

My ear numb
From the ticking
Of the fishing poles:
Mine tweety bird
Yours jet-black
And Kentucky-blue.

The buzzing of the
Purple and turquoise Dragon-flies.

The over-joyed
Future fishermen
Showing their proud fathers.

The mothers have the babies;
At the playground.

You ask me how
Is school going?
I say well.

Then we wrap it up.
And head home.
Where you hang your
#1 Grandpa
Hat on the rack.

-Shelby

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3118/3109675976_a4a12229bf.jpg?v=0


Never Forgotten
1948-2009

You are the father
Of my aunts, uncles and to my mother
And the grandfather
To my cousins, brother, sister and I
And you could've turned 62,
8 days ago
But if you're dead or not
We still celebrate your birthday,
And each and every night I see you
In my dreams
I run [toward] you and yell
Granddaddy
And when I give you a hug
I can smell that hard cologne that you put on
That smells wonderful.
Wish I could see you again
And you will never be forgotten.

I love the way
You turned your life around
And gave it to God
And kept the family together
And let God tell you to say
And everything you said was right
You [taught] me how to pray and be strong
And I love you for that.

When you died I thought it was a lie
But when some one dies in my family
I look in the sky and I can see their face up in the sky.
All of the good times we had
I [think] about them every night.
[Since] you helped the family so much I love you for that
And I love you because you're my family
So until this day you [have never been] forgotten
Rest. In. Peace.
And rest easy and we still celebrate your birthday.

-Teryon

No comments:

Post a Comment