Saturday, February 13, 2010

Poems from Home

My Old Kitchen

Running out the door, watching
The old spice witch burn
In yellow and orange flames

Cracking and popping noises
Coming from the window, firemen
running through the door, trying
To think positive but couldn't

My sister crying on my shoulder,
My mother telling us it's going to be alright

Walking through the door
Smelling the smoke as it flew
Out the door, stepping on the glass
and the ashes that fell from the
blackened, burned cabinets.

Looking at the burned picture on the wall
and glancing out the backdoor
to see the old burned stove.

Walking back outside in the cold
winter winds, jumping in the car
thinking what's going to happen next?

-Andrea

http://www.spi.com.sg/spi_files/haw_par/pic2/DSCF0151.jpg



Country Memories

Hot summer days playing outside,
The rusty old trampoline
In the middle of our big yard,
Coming in the house
From a long day of exercise
My mom and her homemade iced tea
Just for me and my brothers
My worn down dad
Walking in from cutting fallen wood.


The squeaky floors we walked on
The springy beads where we slept
The dirty walls that we touched
and the Tide smelling clothes we wore.

The woods that we explored
To the firepit we played in
The fist tank rocks in the driveway
and the dried up creek at the property line.

Walking up late
running fast trying to catch the burnt
rubber smelling bus.
Our playful excited dogs,
Jumping on us when we got home.
Our smelly brother in law
and his big rusty truck
Stuffed with bent and dirty scrap metal.


The quiet neighbors
That were kind and helpful,
The rude overweight slumlord
Who was nosey about what we did
The deep mud tracks my brother made in the yard,
With his rusty old truck.

I miss the camping
and the smell of burning wood.
I miss my old house,
I miss the country memories.

-Kyle


http://www.wvdjs.state.wv.us/Portals/0/Splash/CountryRoadRandolphCo.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment