Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sports Poems II

The Big Game

The sweat crawling down my forehead
Yelling through the thick, moist air,
For that perfect pass that would change everything.

The intense moment:
I see the ball fly through the air,
The dull, orange grip touches my fingertips.

Taking nervous dribbles down the glistening court
Be ready for the lay up I think to myself,
Yet did I know,
A foul was running toward me,
Enraged like a bull.

The flashes of the crowd's cameras,
Blinding my wide, scared eyes,
Hands fly across my sweat-filled face,
Grabbing greedily for the ball

Whistles blow-
A silent pause in time
Foul! the referee shouts.

My time has come,
My two shots decide the game,
This is it.

The first shot is gold,
The game, tied?
Overtime isn't an option.

My last breath,
Before the last shot,
Silence fills the gym.

Here it goes...
Swish!
The crowd cheers wildly.

I did it!
No...
We did it.

-Daphne

Basketball

The bold light
Sweaty bodies
Grip of the ball
The sound of the net swoosh
The coach screaming out plays
The intensity of the player
Fire in my bones
The sweat on my forehead
Feeling like [we're] going to win
Nikes on my feet
Impatient to get in the game
this is more than a game
The feelings of win or lose still the same
This is my court

-Deron

http://www.beckermanphoto.com/basketball-silhouette-1-id-1969.html


Field of Memories

The new brown brick dust
That opens up to the fence,
The bright orange sun
That shines memories on the field
I will never forget.
And the cold wind
That whistles through the flat air.
The freshly popped popcorn with extra butter,
And the American Flag that watches
The players [wander] onto the field.
The sound of the horn to start the fans attention
To watch the game begin.

The two teams gather on the dirt,
Waiting for the clang of the bat
Making its way through the air,
As it sends the white leathered,
Red laced ball,
In the bright blue sky
To sing its song.
The earth roars as the game ends.

-Dylan

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3516/3697444161_69926b444d.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment