Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Poems for Fathers

Dad

Wish I could stay with him.
Now the fear is here.

Miss his old dirty boots
Coming home at night.

The warm
Kiss on my cheek
When I'm asleep.

Love the cozy hugs
When scared of losing him.

Love to say goodbye when
I know he's coming back.

The old dirty boots sitting in
Front of the door with wet mud
On the carpet.

The family picture with my dad's
Gotee and the light brown hair.

There are some that have
Dads who love and hold them
And there are some who don't,
It feels like there is no one
In this world that you can
Love so much.

Trying to look back in my
Mind to see what's good
About my dad and it's like
My mind doesn't want
Me to feel the pain.

My heart is beating
Boom
Boom
Boom
Then it stops when he is walking
Out on you to leave you in tears.

The days goes by and you don't
Want to move.

-Megan



Now I'm Done.

Out of school,
Rapidly walking to the dead fish smelling baby sitters.
I stare out the cracked window her son broke
That summer.

You came and got me with Gambler,
he licked my face, and I kissed his big black nose
I put on my ragged old shoes, and
You tied them tight.

Thinking about all those memories
I want to forget

Then you were gone, when
Mommy said she was done,
You were never in my life, I wished
I was never even born.

As I was growing up
I got used to you not being there.
Knowing you'd never come.

Since I grew up,
Mom told me everything,
The drugs, the alcohol addiction,
How many people you owed money to.

Crying my eyes out the minute I found out.
Shoving my face in that old pillowcase you got me.

My sister only a teenager,
Standing there with her friend
Having random strangers ride up,
Ask where you were.
Because if they found you
They said you're dead

The silence of the phone
Every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday night,
You stop calling so I stopped trying,
Now just like mom I'm done.

-Savannah


My Daddy's Old Caprice

'96 Caprice Classic
Indigo leather, golden brown wood,
Next to the silver handle
That looks like it has never been touched

That car was everything
my dad was
One of a kind and classic
Like his style and good looking
Smooth and slick like his voice

Every Sunday morning
We would pile into the Caprice
Go to church
I would always sit up front
In the middle where the handle rose
Because it would always be six of us
Three in the back: Jessie, Jasmin, and Mickey
And three up front: MIchael, Makaila, and Mama
On our way to church

Listening to Kirk Franklin
that's the Reason Why I sing
He would always change the radio
By moving his hand over the dashboard like a magician
And 'til this day I still don't know
What he did to change that station

Everyone grew up
And the memories went up to flames
That day my daddy traded in that '96 classic Caprice
For that big, black, dull Chevy
That looks like a monster on wheels.
For once in my life I felt uncompleted
Remembering his two favorite colognes mixed together
Armani and Curve, smelling like him
Missed his leather seats
Sticking and burning my legs in the hot summer time

Rubbing sound of the leather
How when the sun shine the paint job would sparkle
Like his eyes in the moon light
Now everytime I look in the mirror
I see my daddy and his Caprice.

-Makaila



Bright Night

Stacks of boxes.
Boxes that smell like gun powder.
Boxes that will soon explode

Night comes
And its July excitement

My dad's friends, him and the party
Everyone laughing as loud as
Thunder
In a dark pitch black storm

My dad starts with
Mortar shells
Lighting them with his rusty old Zippo
With a two inch flame

Sparking up the wick
Five seconds later
It sores through the sky

Then it explodes into a blue and white
Color of laughter

And it booms
Into a exciting
Ear bursting noise

It leaves my dad screaming,
"Awesome!"
And lighting fireworks till
He runs out of
Exploding Joy.

-Sean



Runaway

When I was a little girl,
You bounced me on your knee.
When I had a bad day
It was you who I was running to,
You told me it would be okay.
I believed you.

I remember I was seven years old,
The time you left.
All your clothes in the closet were gone,
I couldn't catch my breath.
I fell to my knees cried "Daddy, don't go!"
I loved you all my life.

You're my hero, don't you know?
If I were a better kid, would you come back?
Please come home.

When I was in middle school,
We tried to talk on the phone,
You said you were proud of me,
I shed my tears,
I just wanted you near,
But you were never there to wipe away my tears.

-Destiny

No comments:

Post a Comment