Saturday, February 27, 2010

Poems About Leaving Home

Now We're Gone

Memories of the chatter of the dogs barking,
As the groaning engine was trying to start,

This was it, the last straw,
The last glimpse, grip,
The last inhale of atmosphere,
The very last echo.

The last thing I remember,
The [taste] of the Cool Water cologne,
The glimpse of Daddy before we left
As his embrace strangled me,
The murmur of "I love you Daddy"
Tingled my heart as always,
Before his hard day at work.

As we drove out of the driveway,
My heart was choking,
I knew that it was the end,
And I didn't do anything about it.
We will never go back,
This was it.

-Jessica

Leaving

That day is engraved in my head.
I remember my Tonka truck. My jeep.
I remember packing. Everything.
Then we loaded up
We passed the store on the corner
Where we always bought fruit and candy.
We passed the mango tree
I ate off every day.

The airport got bigger and bigger.
Deeper and deeper
Until a metal bird ate me.
In a second I saw nothing
I awoke with light in my eyes
After all that darkness
I saw two lights at the end of the road.

Two years passed
I'm in kindergarten
The dark abyss of nothingness
I couldn't speak
And still I was in
A dark abyss of nothingness

Later after I learned to speak
My abyss got light and lighter
Till my dark abyss
Became the sunshine world I know today.

-Leo


We Moved

We move again
Mom yelled
"Get up and help pack-up!
We are moving"

As I get out of
My bed I take
A look around
The old house
I thought about
All the memor[ies]
I had in this house
As we were packing
I look at the kitchen
My room, my backyard
[Laundry] room, upstairs
It hurt me inside to see
All the things that I'm looking at
For the last time.

As [we] were driving away
All my friend's were
Waving to me as I'm
Leaving the place
Us moving made
Me mad because
We're moving
Again.

-Jacobi

No comments:

Post a Comment