Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Poems for Fathers II


The Shed


The ka-thunk of the nail gun
Forcing nails into the boards
Which will soon hold up the floor.
The thrill of standing over two stories off the ground
Driving in the last nail
Before it is finished.

Two years later, still standing
With everything, everywher on both floors in that shed.
I remember my 4-wheeler atop a cart
All in pieces
Which my Dad used to teach me how to work on engines.
Also a more recent memory
Of him showing me how to sharpen a chainsaw.

It's too bad that when we move
We will have to leae the shed and its memories behind.
I will miss that shed.

-Chris



Old Car


The rusty old Chevy
Coming
Down the street going
Knock, knock, knock
Waking me when I'm asleep.
The rusty old bumper all
Brown and crusty

When he walks in I run up and hug him
The strong
Smell of cologne gets on my coat.
The warm seats in the car heats me up.
The sweet smell of apples

When I get up in the morning
At 6:00 He always warms up
The car when he takes me
to schoool.
I hear the sound pop! Pop! Pop!
As we go down the street
When I get out
Of the car he says "Have a good day".

Then off to work he goes
Until I see him again
That night.

I can't wait until you get
Out of the shop.
I miss you OLD CAR.


-DeMorris

http://www.hybridcarblog.com/uploaded_images/clunker_details_scary_foreign_oil_dependency-772967.jpg

Unspoken Words


The first time I saw you I asked "is that really you?

I never thought that I would be able to see you.

You smelt like Axe.
You looked like I do
I knew that you were my father
I saw you in Kohl's we were in the checkout line
You had really blonde straight hair, green eyes, and you were slim
You were wearing a gray Louisville shirt, jeans and you had a girl with you

I have never met you
I've only seen you once and you kept looking back and down at me
I wonder what you were thinking?
Still you never said "Hi."
I was getting mad because I kept looking at you
You would look back at me but would not say anything
I thought you had forgotten about me.

I was so happy to see you but at that moment
I think my heart skipped a beat
You walked by me like I didn't exist.
My heart poured out in tears
You made me feel like I was invisible
All these years, in the big moment it was as it's always been
Nothing but silence.

I called you the next night and no answer
Again I'm faced with silence from you.

How many times are you going to break my heart?
How many times will I allow you to tear me apart?
Tomorrow will come and again I will be faced with silence.

-Lea

No comments:

Post a Comment