Sunday, August 22, 2010

Flying High After Week One

I'm happy to say that despite nerves that drove me to shake like a leaf and even get sick, my first week at my new school was a marked success. I think I had a bit of an existential identity crisis: I'd gotten comfortable being a "good" teacher at my old school; where would I fit in now in a school of all professional, competent and bright teachers.

Happily, I feel right at home. I have identified mentors among the faculty and administration to watch and emulate, and I have become the mentor for several new, first year teachers - all of whom are remarkable and show impressive promise.

One week in and I'm waiting for someone to pinch me: who knew that such a utopia could exist? Where the faculty, staff and administration collaborate professional and with joy, as both friends and colleagues, for the best interest of the students in whom we all believe can succeed. I am blown away.

Aside from my satisfaction with the employees at Westport Middle School, I am also thrilled with the students. Economically less privileged than much of the nation (60 percent receive free or reduced lunch services), but highly skilled and positive about learning. Their optimism surprised me because I had heard horror stories about the students at Westport - all of which I now know were exaggerated and more than likely the cause of combative, less-than-supportive teachers, and a leadership vacuum of about three months last year. (The students had no principal, and the seventh grade had no assistant principal before Dr. Eddleman - the current principal - came in March.)

And Dr. Staci Eddleman is the mastermind behind Westport's transformation from a negative, under-performing school, to a professional, positive place where I have no doubt the students will exceed expectations. In keeping with the Obama administration's stance that teacher quality is the number one factor for school improvement, Dr. Eddleman asked many of the less than positive and progressive teachers to transfer out. Unfortunately, some great teachers also were lost in the shuffle, according to many of the current factory. Overall, however, those returning say the change in the culture is palpable.

Dr. Eddleman hired through an application and interview process, rather than strictly seniority, and I believe that is the key reason for Westport's success. All of the teachers are professional, competent and caring. Together, we make a positive place to work, collaborate and learn, and the students see this and emulate it. Although they came in a bit defensive the first day, I received gushingly optimistic and positive letters by day three.

It's going to be a fabulous year.

No comments:

Post a Comment